Remember... foreign gentleman living a bachelor life... not very clean. This is what we moved into... not what we are like now!
Cleaning the oven
For the stove top, my mother-in-law found a stove top cleaner that included a scrub, a cleaning agent and a razor blade. That is really what made the difference. I don't think I could have gotten the curry off without it. A little polish on the stainless steal didn't hurt either :)
Cleaning the oven:
- while preheating, boil a pot of water
- pour 1 cup of ammonia into a baking dish
- when the oven is preheated and water boiling, turn off the oven. Place the ammonia on the top rack, and water on the bottom. Close the oven and leave over night.
- in the morning, take everything out of the oven and let it air out (about 15 minutes or so)
- add 1-2 teaspoons of dawn to the ammonia and a quart of warm water.
- using a scrubbing sponge and gloves, begin to wipe down the oven. The grease/grim should come right off.
- if you need to repeat the process, you can.
If you wanted to repeat the over night step, you could. But I was satisfied with what I got.
This is what was left of that blue dish soap/ammoina combination: