Thursday, August 23, 2012

Quesadilla Casserole... This one is for you, Aunt Terri

My sister came home from visiting family in North Carolina and was telling me how my Aunt Terri wants a new casserole recipe.

Well Aunt Terri... here is my best try at it.  (Erin didn't tell me that you wanted a chicken recipe... so this one is beef... oops)

I took the recipe from Joyful Mommas Blog and changed a few ingredients.  It turned out spicy!  I loved it but if you don't handle spice well, I would adjust some of the ingredients accordingly!  I feel like it takes alot of ingredients, but really it is all stuff I had on hand.  I only had to send Bryan to the store for sour cream (and he came home with ice cream too). 


Ingredients:
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 an onion (chopped)
1/2 a bell pepper (Chopped)
1 16 oz can of corn (drained)
1 16 oz can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 16 oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/4-1/2 cup of jalapenos
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
6-8 "shots" of Louisiana hot sauce
6-8 tortillas
1 4 cup bag of cheese (I used nacho and taco cheese)

Serve with sour cream or guacamole if you would like.

Brown your ground beef, and add the onions and bell pepper to cook.  I used a yellow bell pepper because that is what I had on hand.  I don't see why you couldn't use whatever you have handy. 


After it has cooked, add the beans, corn, jalapenos, tomato sauce and water.



Add the spices.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.



Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.


It should start to thicken up just a litte bit.  Grease a 9x13 pan.  Move a layer of this mixture over and spread out evenly.


Add a layer of tortillas.  It is not a big deal if they over lap.


Add a layer of cheese.


Repeat.  Meat, tortillas, cheese.



Pop it into the oven for about 15 minutes to melt the cheese. 


When you take it out, let it sit for a few minutes (10 or so).   It is delicious!  We will be having it again.  It re-heats well for lunches, and the original recipe says that it can be made ahead and frozen and warmed up whenever you're ready to eat it.  It would be good to make a double batch, however for just Bryan and I... this was plenty!

1 comment: